Thursday, March 11, 2010

Your Powder Got Wet

Several years (ok it could be classified as many) ago, back when I was about 15 or so, my dad and I used to spend quite a bit of time out by the river. There was a guy named Irvin that lived out by there. Irvin was an odd duck to put it nicely. Nice guy but really odd.

One fall morning dad and I were out deer hunting. We came out of the woods and headed to the truck just as about 3 or 4 other guys were coming out of the woods as well. We all started chewing the fat and "tailgate hunting". Somehow the subject of muzzle loaders came up and that's when the fun began. Our boy Irvin started into a rant as to why he hated muzzle loaders. If there was ever a time I wished for a video camera this was it. He went on for about 5 minutes about it, but the most memorable line he used was "When your powder gets wet, your fucked." Ever since that day my dad and I have used that line as a metaphor for life. At that exact moment when you realize things are totally FUBAR your powder is wet.

Some examples:

Sundays NASCAR race, when Brad Kesolowski's rear wheels left the pavement...his powder got wet.

When Mike Tyson's lips touched Evander Hollyfields' ear, Evander experienced wet powder.

It's hard to say when exactly Tiger's powder got wet, but it is soaked right now.

Some real world examples:

Your in bed with your girlfriend and your wife's key hits the door...you are about to experience wet powder.

Had a few beers at the bar and the red and blue lights come on on the way home. Yep your powder is wet too.

Your boat motor is in gear and you pull the starter cord anyway (dad)...more than your powder is gonna get wet.

You bought all those new clothes and your husband got the mail with the credit card statement in it...yep ladies your powder can get wet too.

Well I think you get the idea. It's a fun little thing my dad and I do. I'd love to hear any of your "powder got wet" stories. Feel free to leave them in the comments. You can even do it anonymously to protect the guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment