Friday, March 5, 2010

Hand Sanitizers...yes or no?

I read an article today in the USA Today. It was in the "Across the USA" section, which if you aren't familiar with the paper is a thing they do where they take a news item from every state. It's really pretty interesting, especially on a slow news day but I digress.

There was an article in the "US Territory" section datelined Puerto Rico. The gist of the article was that the FDA was warning of a couple of hand sanitizer brands that may be unsafe because they contain high levels of bacteria. This really made me scratch my head in wonder. I thought the whole point of hand sanitizer was to kill bacteria and germs. I thought this stuff was like kryptonite to the little buggers, but apparently they grow some really good bacteria in Puerto Rico.

So now I'm left to wonder, is it worth it to carry some sanitizer. Sure you might be killing what's on your hands, but you could be replacing those with some of these strong little bastards that apparently feed on the stuff. Kind of reminds me of the mosquitoes around the Iroquois River where as Off just makes you smell bad and attracts more mosquitoes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some Monkish germophobe. I probably don't wash my hands nearly enough, but at the same time I like to believe my immune system is stronger for it. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my little brain around the concept of a substance designed to kill something actually harboring what it was designed to kill off.

So, dear readers, like the line in the movie Airplane says..."The decision is yours." As for me I think I'm going to go wash my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment